Our Vision Statement
The City of Richmond's strategic management plan outlines a vision-driven strategy for the organization to manage change. Together, the vision, mission, and values described below provide the anchor for organizational priorities, strategies, and actions.
The Vision statement for the City is meant to provide a clear image of where the organization is heading over the next decade or two. It is meant to capture the spirit of the organization and to inspire its workforce and partners to work towards a vibrant future. The vision reflects the hopes for the City for the future.
Our Vision is . . .
For the City of Richmond to be the most appealing, livable, and well-managed community in Canada.
Key Vision Components
The key components of this vision are the attributes "appealing", "livable", and "well-managed". As part of the strategic planning process, input was gathered from a broad base of staff to clarify these concepts within the City's vision statement.
The Mission statement for the City is meant to define the purpose of the organization. It defines why the organization exists, who the City serves, and how it will go about providing service. It also establishes some priority areas for service delivery.
Our Mission is . . .
To protect and enhance the City's livability and economic well-being for current and future generations through:
- Visionary leadership and responsible decision making
- Accountable and sustainable fiscal practice
- The development of a unique and beautiful city
- Product and service excellence and efficiency
- Community consultation
The City of Richmond is an incredibly diverse and high performing values-based organization. Our values are at the core of what we do; they define our culture, represent our collective conscience, and define the basic principles by which we operate. Our values govern the way we make decisions, guide us as we interact with our community and customers, and support a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace culture and environment.
Our values are: People, Excellence, Leadership, Team and Innovation.
Our belief in people is our number one commitment. We are fair, respectful, supportive and inclusive. We reflect this belief by:
- Putting people first
- Fostering belonging and trust
- Supporting and encouraging staff growth and development
We demonstrate the pursuit of excellence in everything we do. To be the best we can possibly be, we must always strive for outstanding results from all parts of the organization. We demonstrate excellence through:
- Focusing on customer service
- Practising continuous improvement
- Being accountable and taking responsibility for ourselves and our work
As we strive to achieve our corporate vision, authentic and empowered leadership behaviours that reflect:
- Honesty, integrity and respect
- Effective and open communication
- Commitment to our purpose
We believe in the power of team. We are one team; there are no silos. We succeed, learn and work together to achieve our vision through:
- Focusing on our common goals and celebrating each other's efforts and successes
- Demonstrating concern for fellow team members
- Building on our strengths, individual perspectives, and collective knowledge
Innovation is the key to our success. In this rapidly changing world, we work collaboratively, both internally and externally, to be innovative and forward-thinking leaders in municipal government. We do this by:
- Challenging the status quo
- Learning from others and from our past experiences
- Taking well-managed risks and unleashing our creativity