STARS Activity 2
Activity 2: Gather Data
Get to know your school and your community. It can take the efforts of a whole community to be successful in making traffic on our streets safer.
Task 1: Gather data.
- Conduct pedestrian surveys and traffic counts (e.g., how many parents in cars stop at the school each day to drop off children?).
- Walk around the problem area and observe it at different times of the day. Morning and afternoon traffic flows can be very different.
- Prepare maps of traffic and pedestrian/cyclist flows that identify where conflicts occur at the problem area.
- Talk with parents, PAC members, school administrators, and teachers and document their observations and comments.
- Potential existing data sources include:
- results from a Speed Watch event; and
- previously conducted pedestrian and vehicle surveys.