Call for Presenters
2022 Call for Presenters
Submissions to the 2022 Virtual Diversity Symposium are now closed.
Why Be a Presenter?
The City of Richmond Diversity Symposium offers a unique opportunity to learn, share and collaborate with a community of professionals and volunteers from various municipal departments, not-for-profit groups, social service organizations, the private sector and academic institutions that are working towards advancing diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Explore emerging practices and innovative ideas that facilitate understanding and connection across people of diverse backgrounds.
- Challenge our thinking and inspire action and change.
- Provide participants with practical skills, ideas, strategies and perspectives to tackle challenges and opportunities in their respective fields.
- Share case studies and lessons learned on pressing social issues.
- Initiate thought-provoking discussions around issues of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Use an intersectional lens in unpacking the complexities of current social challenges.
- Identify best practices in measuring outcomes and impact.
- Bring multiple stakeholders together to achieve collective impact and social change.
- Facilitate a safe, respectful and thoughtful dialogue among participants.
All sessions are 60 or 90 minutes long.
- Individual or Group Presentation – One or more speakers present on a chosen topic, followed by a Q&A period.
- Workshop – A group of people engage in intensive discussion and activity on a particular subject.
- Panel – Two or more speakers share the time equally, reflecting on topics that complement each other.
- Have an idea for a different format? Let us know!
- A brief technical rehearsal will be required of all speakers selected two weeks prior to the scheduled presentation.
- Slide presentations should be made available to City of Richmond staff as backup in case of technical issues.
- All of the presentations will be recorded and made available to registrants for a limited period after the scheduled presentation.
- Ensure your device can support WebEx or Zoom webinar.
Each proposal selected for inclusion in the symposium is allocated a $300 honorarium for its presenter’s work in preparing and presenting the session. This honorarium will be shared between speakers who co-present.
Mon, Jun 6, 2022: Deadline for proposal submission
Wed, Jun 22, 2022: Notification of accepted proposals will be issued
Wed, Jun 29, 2022: Deadline for accepted presenters to confirm participation and submit headshot and presentation agreement
Mon, Oct 10, 2022: Deadline for presenters to submit their PowerPoint presentations
Mon, Oct 10-Thu, Oct 20, 2022: Mandatory technical rehearsal for selected speakers
Call 604-276-4391 or email DiversitySymposium@richmond.ca to discuss ideas for proposals.