Building our Social Future 2013-2022
Richmond’s Social Development Strategy
Richmond is an inclusive, engaging and caring community – one that considers the needs of its present and future generations, values and builds on its diversity, nurtures its social capital and treats its citizens with fairness and respect.
On September 9, 2013, Richmond City Council adopted the Richmond Social Development Strategy. The Strategy is intended to guide the City’s decisions on social development matters over the next 10 years. It is also intended to be a resource for external stakeholders which:
- Identifies social development priorities for City attention between now and 2022;
- Clarifies the roles of the City and other stakeholders with respect to addressing particular social development topics; and
- Provides a foundation for a more integrated, coordinated, and sustainable approach for social development in Richmond for the future.
Building Our Social Future 2013-2022
As Richmond and the region continue to grow and develop, the type and nature of social issues being faced are becoming increasingly complex and challenging (e.g. homelessness, addictions, growing income inequality). The City is not in a position to "do it alone" in responding to social issues – it needs be strategic, adopt appropriate roles, and work in partnership with other stakeholders. The Social Development Strategy is intended to help the City in defining its future social course.
Social Development Strategy Framework
The Strategy consists of a vision, three major goals, nine strategic directions and 53 recommended actions. The actions are divided into ongoing, short (0-3 years), medium (4-6 years) and long term (7-10 years) timelines. The City’s role is specified for each action, and proposed partners to participate in the work are also identified.
- Support the City’s Corporate Vision
- Enhance Social Sustainability
- Engage the Community
- Complement, interests, policies, programs, services and funding priorities
- Be strategic, visionary and realistic
- Focus on assets and recognize social capital
- Be flexible and resilient
- Provide benefits to Richmond residents and external stakeholders
The Community Social Development Department assumes primary responsibility for implementing the Social Development Strategy. The Strategy articulates a body of well-defined actions to be achieved within specified time frames and defines roles and expectations for the City and key stakeholders. Social Development Strategy progress reports measure the City’s progress on achieving the Strategy’s ongoing, medium and long-term actions.
Building Our Social Future - Progress Report for 2021
Building Our Social Future - Progress Report for 2020
Building Our Social Future - Progress Report for 2019
Building Our Social Future - Progress Report for 2017-2018
Building Our Social Future - Initial Progress Report 2013-2016
For more information, please contact:
Manager, Community Social Development
Director, Community Social Development