Recreation Fee Subsidy Program
- Program Application
- How to submit your RFSP Application
- Program Benefits
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Contact Information
The Recreation Fee Subsidy Program (RFSP) helps people of all ages living in Richmond who are in financial hardship. RFSP participants receive financial support for many registered and drop-in parks, recreation and cultural programs offered by the City of Richmond and its Community Associations and Societies.
The following rack cards provide a brief overview of the program:
RFSP Rack Card (English)
RFSP Rack Card (Chinese)
The RFSP 2022-2023 is valid from September 1, 2022 to August 31, 2023.
Apply for RFSP 2022-2023
Note: All applicants need to re-apply each year as financial situations can change over time. Approved applications received before July 31, 2022 will also be placed in the 2021-2022 program year.
How to submit your RFSP application
Completed applications and supporting documents can be submitted in 1 of 4 ways:
- Email: email@example.com
- Mail: Recreation Fee Subsidy Program, Community Services Division, 5599 Lynas Lane, Richmond, BC, V7C 5B2
- City Hall Drop Box: 6911 No. 3 Road, located outside City Hall at the west side of the building
- In-person: at any City of Richmond recreation facility or the Richmond Cultural Centre
At this time, we are not accepting application submissions or providing in-person application support at the Public Works Yard. Call the Subsidy office at 604-247-4909, if you need assistance with your application.
City Hall Drop Box instructions
- Completed RFSP applications MUST be sealed in an envelope and clearly labelled Recreation Fee Subsidy Program.
- The City Hall Drop Box is always available.
Contact the RFSP office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 604-247-4909 for application support or follow-up.
Financial hardship is defined as when a person has difficulty paying for basic living costs such as food, clothing, housing, and does not have savings or other financial resources.
You may be eligible for the RFSP if you:
- Live in Richmond; AND
- Option A or B applies to your situation (see below for details).
You receive government financial assistance from one of following programs:
- Youth Agreements
- Agreements with Young Adults (AYA)
- Income Assistance
- Disability Assistance*
- Resettlement Assistance
- Rental Assistance Program (RAP)
- Shelter Aid for Elderly Renters (SAFER)
- Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
*If you are receiving disability assistance, you are also eligible for the Recreation Access Program.
You do not receive government financial assistance but are in financial hardship:
- Submit the 2021 Proof of Income Statement (Option C print) – required from BOTH you and your spouse (married or common-law).
- Print from Canada Revenue Agency My Account or phone 1-800-267-6999.
- Note: The Notice of Assessment, T1 General or T4 Statement cannot be accepted.
Applications are evaluated against the following financial limits. Applications that exceed one or more of these limits will not qualify for the RFSP.
Family Net Income (line 23600):
Based on the Low Income Measure After Tax (LIM-AT T1FF) from Statistics Canada (updated August 9, 2021). Family net income limits are updated annually when new data is released by Statistics Canada.
|Family Size 1||Family Size 2+|
|Interest and Investment Income (Line 12100)||$250||$500|
|Rental Income (Line 12600)||$1,000||$2,000|
|Capital Gains (Line 12700)||$500||$1,000|
|RRSP Contributions (Line 20800)||$1,000||$2,000|
Program benefits are valid from September 1, 2022 (or from the date of approval) to August 31, 2023 and include:
Free Drop-in Admission:
While advanced registration is still required for select activities, many drop-in programs are being offered at City facilities. Visit program registration to keep up-to-date on available programs and services.
Enjoy free drop-in admission (where available) and free admission to registered visits at the following City of Richmond recreation locations:
- Aquatic centres
- Skating arenas*
- Minoru Centre for Active Living - Fitness Centre
- West Richmond Pitch and Putt
- Community Centres (choose one)
*Note: Skate rentals included (Hockey equipment is not included).
Advanced registration may be required for selected drop-in services and can be booked online at myrichmond where the 100% discount will be automatically applied to registrations during checkout from your account or contact the Registration Call Centre at 604-276-4300, Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm and inform staff before payment to have the subsidy applied.
Registered Programs at Reduced Cost:
90% discount on most registered programs:
- Up to a maximum of $300 per year in subsidy for children and youth (18 years and under)
- Up to a maximum of $100 per year in subsidy for adults and seniors (19+ years)
When registering for a program, a maximum of 90% of the program cost is covered by the Recreation Fee Subsidy Program and a minimum of 10% is paid by the participant (including taxes and extra program fees if applicable).
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit the link below for answers to frequently asked questions, including who can submit an application, how to get required documents, and when you can begin to use your new subsidy:
RFSP Frequently Asked Questions
For questions about the Recreation Fee Subsidy Program, contact: