Air CrashVancouver International Airport (YVR) is the second largest international passenger gateway on the west coast of North America. The airport is home to several businesses, and is the workplace of approx. 26,000 employees. YVR's commitment to excellence in airport safety and security is reflected in its comprehensive Emergency Management Plan.
As a crash may take place on airport property or elsewhere in the City, it is important that all agencies are aligned and organized to provide the most effective and efficient support possible. That is why numerous discussion-based and “live” exercises are regularly held simulating emergency events.
In the event of an aircraft emergency:
- YVR will work with the City and other partner agencies to coordinate assistance where necessary.
- First responders will similarly coordinate to respond, render aid, and prevent further damage.
- The public is asked to stay away from the crash area for their own safety, as well as to keep roads clear for first responders to access and leave the crash site. Updates will be provided via news and reputable social media accounts such as YVR’s and the City’s.
- Following PreparedBC’s 3 Steps to Preparedness.
- Visiting the Emergency Telephone Numbers and Information Sources section. For more information on the Airport Authority or Emergency Management, visit YVR.