G.O. Day - Girls Only Lifestyle Expo
This program is currently suspended
This day-long expo is for a select group of grade 8 and 9 girls offered the opportunity to participate in activity workshops, healthy lifestyles workshops and focus groups to discuss barriers to participation in physical activity.
This initiative is planned and delivered in partnership with Vancouver Coastal Health and Richmond School District.
The goals of the Girls Only Lifestyle Expo is to remove barriers that may limit grade 8 and 9 girls from being physically active by:
- engaging girls in activities that they will enjoy for the rest of their lives
- raising awareness of the importance of physical activity
- developing healthy lifelong habits
The end-of-day goal is to make a difference by assisting in the development of good recreational habits and a positive attitude toward physical activity.
Why is G.O. Day Important?
A survey conducted by the Richmond School District found a growing decline in the number of girls registering in grades 11 and 12 physical education (PE) classes.
The event addresses identified needs through four components of the program:
- Healthy lifestyle workshops
- An opportunity to experience a variety of non-traditional physical activities
- Focus group discussions
- Information booth with relevant materials
Girls from grades 8 and 9 from selected schools in Richmond.
G.O. Day Sample Activities
Hip Hop, Self Defence, Barre Pilates, Snack Attack, Rock Climbing, Tennis, Gymnastics, Jazz and Yoga.
- City of Richmond
- Richmond School District
- Thompson Community Association
- Vancouver Coastal Health