About Fitness and Active LivingThe City of Richmond offers a wide variety of physical activity and wellness opportunities designed to promote active living in our community. Our physical activity programs and services, for all ages and abilities, are taught by Provincially Registered Fitness Leaders.
Group Fitness and Aquafit Classes
Our land-based (aerobics) and water-based (aquafit) fitness classes are all self-paced and open to all individuals. Participants with health conditions or other special needs are encouraged to speak to the Fitness Leader prior to the start of class for advice on exercise choices and exercise modifications.
A variety of virtual, outdoor and indoor fitness classes including Zumba, Kardio Kickboxing and Dance Fit, to Yoga, Pilates Fusion and Ease Into Fitness will be on offer through Community Centres across the City. Starting Monday, October 19, many of the City of Richmond’s popular indoor fitness and recreation programs are moving indoors. These programs will operate with reduced capacity and activities may be increased or decreased based on demand and public safety. All facilities and programs will meet strict health and safety guidelines as set out by local and provincial health authorities, WorkSafeBC, as well as relevant industry associations. Refer to the COVID-19 Safety Plan page for more information.
Classes are available now - see program schedule below.
- Outdoor fitness programs are offered as either single or multiple-session classes.
- Single-session classes may be booked one week at a time, starting at 10:00am on the Monday prior to the week in which the class occurs.
- Multiple-session classes may be booked now.
- Drop-in attendance is not permitted.
Fitness Centres at Minoru Centre for Active Living, South Arm Community Centre and Thompson Community Centre have re-opened as of August 17, 2020 for pre-registered fitness sessions. These facilities will look a little different with safety measures and physical distancing in place, but we are excited to welcome the community back.
- Pre-registration is required – no drop-ins are permitted. Please register in advance online or through the Registration Call Centre at 604-276-4300, Monday-Friday, 8:30-5:00pm.
- Each fitness centre session is 75 minutes long.
- Registration for each week of exercise sessions starts at 10:00am on the Monday one week before.
- Only customers with pre-booked registrations will be permitted to enter the facility. "Drop Ins" are not permitted.
- Regular admission prices will apply and payment is required at the time of booking.
- Fitness passes and memberships will remain on hold at this time. All fitness passes and memberships will be extended to cover the amount of time facilities are closed. When full services resume at the facilities, the additional time will be added to your pass or membership. This includes monthly and annual passes for fitness centres, Richmond aquatic facilities and other facility-specific passes.
Information for youth participants (13-18 years):
Youth 13-15 years old are required to complete a Youth Fitness Centre Orientation prior to attending. Youth orientations can be booked by calling the Fitness Coordinator at their preferred location and only needs to be completed once for eligibility to exercise at all centres. To register for an exercise session, please call the Registration Call Centre to verify this requirement has been met.
Youth 13-18 years old are required to submit a completed Informed Consent and Permission Form for Youth Fitness Centre Access prior to attending the Fitness Centre.
The City of Richmond and our community partners appreciate your support by following directions from staff and avoiding the use of equipment marked as out of use.
Safety Information - Fitness Centres
Frequently Asked Questions - Fitness Centres
Minoru Centre for Active Living Fitness Centre Schedule
South Arm Community Centre Fitness Centre Schedule
Thompson Community Centre Fitness Centre Schedule - New
Live Stream Fitness Videos
Live stream fitness videos are now available through the Zoom app! Join some of your favourite Fitness Instructors and Coordinators from the comfort of your own home. Limited equipment required. Upon registration, a Zoom class link will be emailed along with a PAR-Q form prior to the start of the event.
For more information regarding virtual activities and wellness resources or to view the online fitness schedule, please visit the Richmond Connects page.
Personal Training Services
Personal training services are currently not available.
When you take part in any fitness activity at a City facility you will be asked to either complete a PAR-Q+, read the large poster version of the form, or to confirm you have completed the online version of the questionnaire, or complete and print the form here Par Q Questionnaire. This form is designed to identify people for whom a change in physical activity may pose a risk.
Active Living Questions?
The City's Community Health and Wellness Coordinator works in partnership with Fitness Coordinators at the community centres to offer a wide variety of fitness and wellness programs.
Email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Health and Wellness Services / Community Resources