Sport & Event Hosting Services
Our Hosting PortfolioRichmond has an impressive history of sport and event hosting ranging from small community invitational events and cultural celebrations to large scale maritime festivals and international events.
From outdoor turf soccer fields to indoor multi-sport facilities, Richmond has the experience and resources to ensure your event is a success.
Sport tourism is an emerging market on the international stage and one that has recently been identified as a key sector market for the City of Richmond.
Richmond is well positioned to take advantage of this emerging market with its facility inventory, abundance of accommodations, excellent transportation network, strong history of sport hosting by community sport groups, active educational institutions, established Sports Council and engaged corporate community.
Take a look at some of the recent sport events successfully hosted in Richmond.
The City of Richmond welcomes events into our community. In recent years, the City has seen a considerable increase in the number, size and complexity of events being held in Richmond.
The following is a sampling of some community events that were successfully hosted in Richmond:
- Steveston Salmon Festival (annually on July 1): Since 1945, the Steveston Community Society has organized a celebration of Canada’s birthday and heritage of the Steveston community. This is a large non-profit Canada Day celebration in historic Steveston Village, which includes a parade, main stage entertainment, crafts, festivals, sport demonstrations and exhibits. This event is known for its famous salmon barbecue that everyone keeps coming back for.
- Richmond Maritime Festival (annually in August): A celebration of all things waterfront at the Britannia Heritage Shipyard. This event provides the opportunity for residents and visitors to learn about and explore the heritage site, while enjoying a fun filled day of games, exhibits, music, performances and much more.
- Richmond Winterfest (February 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2011): An event bringing the community together to celebrate winter festivities in Richmond. It also served as a countdown to the 2010 Winter Olympics. This event has included sport demonstrations, musical performances, interactive sport activities, and art displays.
- Ships to Shore (June 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016): Held at Garry Point, this event recalls the days when Steveston was a major port-of-call for sailing ships from around the world. Activities at this event include on board tours of the tall ships, three-hour sails, mock gun battles, on-stage performances, artisan market and much more.
- Richmond O Zone (February 2010): As the biggest official celebration site for the 2010 Winter Olympics, the Richmond Ozone drew massive crowds and was a tremendous success. People came from all over to skate outdoors on real ice and watch the games on high-definition big screens. Other activities included virtual reality, exhibits, and entertainment from around the world.
- Tall Ships Festival (August 2002): This 5-day, award-winning celebration brought Tall Ships from around the world into historic Steveston. This festival brought in approximately 400,000 people to greet the majestic fleet of Tall Ships and experience history and culture.