RestorationRestoration of Tram Car 1220
Our goal is to protect original materials and return the car to its appearance from 1912 to 1958.
Restoration of the Interurban Tram Car 1220 was completed in 2018. A restoration team made up of volunteers, conservators, curators, specialized contractors and City trades worked diligently to preserve original materials and return the car to its appearance from 1912 to 1958. Visitors to the Steveston Tram had the unique opportunity to watch the car restoration from 2016-2018.
Restoration work focused on:
• Cleaning and painting the undercarriage.
• Upgrading the electrical system to meet today’s standards.
• Restoring seat frames.
• Reupholstering seat cushions with authentic materials.
• Rebuilding the interior bench seats.
• Repairing the roof utilizing original materials like canvas.
• Painting Tram Car 1220 to its original colour.
• Cleaning and installation of brass fixtures and other interior components.
• Installing the trolley bases and poles.
Today staff at the Steveston Tram maintain and monitor the Tram Car to ensure that it will be enjoyed by visitors for years to come.