The volunteer program at Britannia Shipyards is currently suspended until further notice.
Read below for information on future volunteer programs.
Britannia Shipyards is looking for dedicated individuals to join the volunteer program! A wide variety of experiences, duties and roles designed to suit individuals are offered for both short abd long term opportunities.
Call 604-238-6106 for more information.
- increase your knowledge of local history
- gain valuable work experience and transferable skills
- meet new friends
- receive invitations to Volunteer Appreciation events
- receive reference letters provided after 50 hours
- receive school evaluation forms filled out after 10 hours
- proof of volunteer hours given at any time
All volunteers must have the following criteria:
- be over 15 years of age (a select few positions must be over 18)
- have a willingness to learn
- have excellent customer service and people skills
- have the ability to communicate effectively with visitors
- have an interest in history (an asset)
- be willing to take a Police Information Check (for Heritage Greeter positions)
Living History Heritage Ambassadors
Be a part of the new Living History program at the Steveston Heritage Sites!
As a Heritage Ambassador volunteer, share the stories of the people who lived and worked at the four locations - Britannia Shipyards, the Steveston Tram, the Steveston Museum and London Heritage Farm. Dressed in period costumes, Ambassadors demonstrate activities such as playing cards, churning butter, sewing, explaining tram car mechanics and much more.
No experience is necessary with training provided. Volunteers will not be acting/in character. Volunteers must be 15+ years, be outgoing and passionate about history and willing to share knowledge and enthusiasm with the public.
The shift times, days and activities vary across sites. In Fall/Winter, shifts are 12:15-4:30pm, Friday, Saturday or Sunday. A commitment of six shifts from October through April is required.
Sign up for an training session for the Britannia Heritage Ambassador program. Email email@example.com or call 604-238-6106 for more information.
Education Docent Volunteers
The Education Docent volunteer position is an opportunity to gain experience working with school students in a heritage setting. Responsibilities include: preparing program materials, setting-up / taking-down tables and chairs, assisting with student’s hands-on activities and providing interpretation of historical buildings. Successful candidates should enjoy working with students and have an interest in local history and museums.
Volunteers must also be able to stand for two hours, tolerate noise and temperature changes.
Shifts usually take place from 9:00am to 3:00pm, Monday to Friday. All Education Docent volunteers must complete a Police Information Check.
Sign up here.
Special Event Volunteers
Spend a short time with us during any number of exciting events: Family Day, Doors Open, Richmond Maritime Festival, Grand Prix of Art and Culture Days! Duties include greeting visitors and helping with activities.