Council Strategic Plan 2018-2022
The Council Strategic Plan 2018-2022 identifies the collective strategic focus and priorities for Richmond City Council for this term of office. The Council Strategic Plan reflects a collective desire for proactive and forward-thinking leadership that remains rooted in Richmond’s distinct history and identity. Richmond has a long history as a meeting place of diverse cultures, of being home to thriving arts and cultural communities, and offering exceptional sport, recreation, and wellness opportunities. These are strengths that the City of Richmond will build on into the future. The City’s focus on its unique island ecology, agricultural and fishing sectors, and on the environment will continue, ensuring sustainability is viewed as a way of doing all business within the City. Of importance to Council is to enhance communication, collaboration and connection, ensuring residents and businesses within Richmond are well-informed and engaged in decisions that shape the community’s way forward.
Each of the eight strategic focus areas is considered to be of equal importance. The Council Strategic Plan allows the City to accomplish a visionary agenda set by Council, while also being flexible and responsive to new opportunities, issues, and circumstances that may emerge during the term. City work programs are aligned according to the strategic focus areas of Council to achieve a focused and productive term of office that makes most effective use of public resources.
Strategic Focus Areas
A Safe and Resilient City
Enhance and protect the safety and well-being of Richmond.
- Enhance safety services and strategies to meet community needs.
- Future-proof and maintain city infrastructure to keep the community safe.
- Ensure Richmond is prepared for emergencies, both human-made and natural disasters.
- Foster a safe, caring and resilient environment.
A Sustainable and Environmentally Conscious City
Environmentally conscious decision-making that demonstrates leadership in implementing innovative, sustainable practices and supports the City’s unique biodiversity and island ecology.
- Continued leadership in addressing climate change and promoting circular economic principles.
- Policies and practices support Richmond’s sustainability goals.
- Increase emphasis on local food systems, urban agriculture and organic farming.
- Increase opportunities that encourage daily access to nature and open spaces and that allow the community to make more sustainable choices.
One Community Together
Vibrant and diverse arts and cultural activities and opportunities for community engagement and connection.
- Foster community resiliency, neighbourhood identity, sense of belonging, and intercultural harmony.
- Enhance arts and cultural programs and activities.
- Utilize an interagency and intercultural approach to service provision.
- Celebrate Richmond’s unique and diverse history and heritage.
An Active and Thriving Richmond
An active and thriving community characterized by diverse social and wellness programs, services and spaces that foster health and well-being for all.
- Robust, affordable, and accessible sport, recreation, wellness and social programs for people of all ages and abilities.
- Ensure infrastructure meets changing community needs, current trends and best practices.
- Encourage wellness and connection to nature through a network of open space
Sound Financial Management
Accountable, transparent, and responsible financial management that supports the needs of the community into the future.
- Maintain a strong and robust financial position.
- Clear accountability through transparent budgeting practices and effective public communication.
- Decision-making focuses on sustainability and considers circular economic principles.
- Work cooperatively and respectfully with all levels of government and stakeholders while advocating for the best interests of Richmond.
Strategic and Well-Planned Growth
Leadership in effective and sustainable growth that supports Richmond’s physical and social needs.
- Ensure an effective OCP and ensure development aligns with it.
- “Green” and circular economic growth and practices are emphasized.
- Build on transportation and active mobility networks
- Recognize Richmond’s history and heritage through preservation, protection and interpretation.
- Ensure diverse housing options are available and accessible across the housing continuum.
- Growth includes supports and/or services for Richmond’s vulnerable populations, including youth, seniors, individuals with health concerns, and residents experiencing homelessness.
A Supported Economic Sector
Facilitate diversified economic growth through innovative and sustainable policies, practices and partnerships.
- Demonstrate leadership through strategic partnerships, collaborations and exploring innovative and emerging economic practices and technical advancements.
- Encourage a strong, diversified economic base while preserving agricultural land and maximizing the use of industrial land.
- Attract businesses to locate in Richmond and support employment and training opportunities in Richmond as we grow.
- Inspire the farming and fishing cultures of tomorrow.
An Engaged and Informed Community
Ensure that the citizenry of Richmond is well-informed and engaged about City business and decision-making.
- Increased opportunities for public engagement.
- Ensure citizens are well-informed with timely, accurate and easily accessible communication using a variety of methods and tools.