Noise Regulations

While various sounds throughout the day can be disruptive, you have the right as a resident of Richmond to not be disturbed by excessive noise. In turn, you have the responsibility as a Good Neighbour to not disturb others by causing similarly excessive noise.

Depending on the severity, construction and other disruptive noises, that do not require police attention, can be investigated by the Community Bylaws Department within regular business hours.

Construction or generator noise, for instance, should remain within reasonable perimeters as indicated through the Noise Regulation Bylaw No. 8856. See the City Bylaws section for more information.

Noise in Richmond
Airport Noise
The City does not regulate aviation noise. Complaints concerning aviation noise or noise generated from the airport should be reported to YVR Noise Management.

Barking Dogs

The Noise Regulation Bylaw No. 8856 prohibits any kind of sound made by a dog, continually, sporadically or erratically, for any period in excess of thirty minutes. To learn more about noise regarding dogs, consult with Animal Protection Services.

Construction Noise

The Bylaw permits objectionable and disturbing noises made by construction activity:

  • Monday through Friday between 7:00am and 8:00pm, that is not a holiday for any type of construction
  • Saturday between 10:00am and 8:00 pm, that is not a holiday for any type of construction
  • Sunday or a Holiday between 10:00am to 6:00pm, provided the construction is in connection with a residential building or structure and undertaken personally by the owner or occupier of the premises. Construction sites and crews may not conduct work.
  • Holiday means New Years Day, Good Friday, Easter Monday, Victoria Day, Canada Day, British Columbia Day, Labour Day, Thanksgiving Day, Remembrance Day, Christmas Day and Boxing Day or any other statutory holiday that may be declared by the Province of British Columbia

Certain activities, special events and large infrastructure projects, which would otherwise violate the City's Bylaw, may be permitted with a Temporary Noise Exemption Permit. The City's "Roads, Dykes, Water & Sewers" section maintains a listing of Active Noise Bylaw Exemptions.

Report a Problem
If you have a situation regarding the above, complete the Report a Problem form online to have the right department contact you, or call us at 604-276-4000.

Disturbances such as yelling, shouting or parties should be reported to the Richmond Non-Emergency RCMP at 604-278-1212.